Monday, May 26, 2008

Such a Cliché



I’m not going to beat around the bush although I suspect this post may end up being as clear as mud.

I’ve been as busy as a bee – buried in (more) paperwork, probably making mountains out of molehills and there are days (particularly the ones I wake at the crack of dawn) where I can’t see the forest for the trees.

My life has become a bit of a cliché, but, hey, these are the cards I’ve been dealt. I’ve got to play my hand. No sense in crying buckets – best to look for the silver lining in every cloud.

I may be a babe in the woods, I may have bitten off more than I can chew and perhaps I can’t tell my ass from my elbow but I will not be led merrily down the garden path. I refuse to roll over and play dead. (Apologies to my dog.)

Come hell or high water, I will remain as cool as a cucumber - although at times I feel I’m talking to a brick wall(s). And would like to pound my head against said wall(s).

This whole process has been as slow as molasses in January and as boring (and frustrating) as hell. (And if you’re bored silly reading about it, try living la vida loca.)

Life is not always a bowl of cherries and there are times you have to make waves. (Or your own fruit cocktail.)

I have a bee in my bonnet and ants in my pants and I’m going to let them all go and do their thing…

No cold feet for this girl. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I’m as bright as a penny and I most certainly did not just fall off the turnip wagon.

I am the cat’s meow, the best thing since sliced bread and I’m betting the farm I come out on top. I’m looking forward to being as happy as a pig in mud although I won’t count my chickens before they’re hatched.


Whew! I did it! An entire post written with clichés. How awesome. How irritating to read…


All this creative effort to say I have been and will be busy – meetings, etc.

I hope lady luck smiles upon me…

21 comments:

Charlotta-love said...

I've always wondered...

you say, "A penny for your thoughts." and I give you "my two cents worth," what happens to the other penny?

Hope lady luck shines soon!

Jules said...

Very cute. But then life's a cliche, right?

Sherry said...

Loved it -- not boring at all -- very clever, very witty...and I know you didn't fall off that turnip truck/wagon...and I also know you're gonna knock some socks off tomorrow!!! ;)

The Author Of This said...

Hope you don't get all bent out of shape. Don't bust your balls by getting your knickers in a twist. You won't need to wish upon a star because what goes around comes around. You're not over the hill, hope springs eternal, justice will be done. No matter what cock and bull stories you hear, you'll know when someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Go get 'em kiddo!

Lynda said...

excellent you are a clever girl...

Beth said...

charlotta-love:
That penny? Why, that's the one that "drops!"

jules:
But of course - and that's where all the cliches come from...
And sometimes life can be as sour as lemons! (Fascinating video.)

sherry:
Of course I didn't fall off the turnip wagon! (I think I'm still on it.)

amc:
You do the cliche thing very well.
And my knickers are in a twist because of all those damn ants.

lynda:
Why, thank you very much...

Barrie said...

I'm right there with ya in the land of "I Bit Off More than I Can Chew" or "I'm Busier Than A One-Armed Wallpaper Hanger"!!

Fun post! I love cliches!

Mrs. G. said...

Don't let the turkeys get you down when it's raining cats and dogs!

oreneta said...

That was...words fail me...sorry it's late....but that was a masterwork...hilarious

PG said...

You go girl! I'll have to bear this post in mind if I'm ever teaching English idioms.

Beth said...

barrie:
I must say, there's some comfort to be had in cliches - they let you know you are not alone!

mrs. g.:
Now I'm wondering why animals play such a large role in the making of cliches.

oreneta:
I am taking a bow - or a curtsy.

psychgrad:
Use Google! You'll find many, many more. And it was fascinating to discover I could actually write a post like this.

Gary said...

All's well that ends well.

Anonymous said...

For a second, I thought my mother had taken over your blog, from the spirit world. She was always quoting cliches. Constantly. It brought back memories...

Having said that, I thought it was very clever. Don't work too hard, have a ball at those meetings.
XOXOXO

Beth said...

gary:
Thank you, William.

eileen:
While I'm familiar with all those sayings, rest assured, I don't use them so liberally in conversation.

Angel said...

"life is a chair of bowlies"

hope things go good for you this week....life just sucks sometimes, as do people! ;)

Beth said...

beth:
But not us...

contemporary themes said...

It sounds like the wind is blowing in your neck of the woods, so "hold onto your hat," and you'll be fine!

I don't know if that is a cliche, but it seemed appropriate! : )

Ed & Jeanne said...

You should go celebrate and get two sheets to the wind!

Anonymous said...

How hilarious!! What a great job!

Princess Pointful said...

Damn, Beth!
It took me a bit to catch on, sadly... but nice job!

Unknown said...

That post was the best thing since sliced ... um ...

uh ...