Tuesday, September 25, 2012

It's (Almost) About Me



The above?  Fridge magnets given to me as gifts by those who know me well.  The sentiments expressed in each are rather close to home but not quite all the way there.  Yet.

They may be verging on “sad but true” but since they’re all so spot on in depicting certain aspects of my life (with some exaggeration) the humour factor trumps any “poor-pitiful-me” factor.  Each one makes me smile.

And isn’t that what humour is all about?  Its origins in reality and truth – its laughter and smiles in the exaggeration.

May I never be too stressed, too preoccupied with pain – or too forgetful – to smile and laugh. 


Credits: I scanned two of my magnets but the other one is at the cottage – so I used Google images – hence the wording on that image

16 comments:

Sherry said...

Laughter is always the best medicine...I've always found it keeps me sane!

Gorilla Bananas said...

Humour is a funny thing, isn't it? The last one is true, but maybe less true the older you get. There's no shortage of old codgers who speak from the gut.

Jules said...

I love the stress one Beth! Makes total sense to me :)

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Oh dahling, it can be all about you, if you want! I see the humour in those as well. I am guilty of saying yes when I mean to say no as well. Damn.

laughingwolf said...

close to home for me, aussi!

Beth said...

Sherry:
And no negative side effects!

GB:
I’m finally – FINALLY – learning to say “no.”

Juliette:
Such a difficult habit to break...

The Bodhi Chicklet:
That “yes” has become so automatic. Time for a change. Another one. :)

LW:
Yeah, *sigh* - for so many of us…

oreneta said...

That's another thing I did this weekend, and that my kids are great for as well....laugh and laugh and laugh.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Yes, let's never forget.
Thank you, my friend.

xoRobyn

Beth said...

oreneta:
What a gift – to laugh with our kids. Imagine not? Some families don’t. Sad.

Robyn:
I don’t think you ever could – no matter what. The sense of humour, the laughter – they’re so much a part of who you are.

Anonymous said...

The one about stress is so true! We are too often afraid to say no, and we end up with a very full plate (and more stress) because of that.

Beth said...

Zhu:
A full plate (and more stress) with no one to blame but myself!

Cheryl said...

Love them all! Words of wisdom from refrigerator magnets are often the best. Thanks for sharing these gems, made me smile.

DWei said...

And that's why I try not to ask favors of people. Never know how busy they might actually be in real life.

Lauren said...

I love that stress quote. It's too true :)

JJ said...

i love the last magnet. i can relate to it so well.
:O

Valerie Marie said...

I have so much post-its around my desk... I had to laugh, and laugh...
and almost cry (almost). Thank you!
p.s. stress: you feel that you have to invite a few people, because they invited you...but you don't really want to see them, but you cannnot say "no".. and you hate them before they're through the door :-(