Monday, March 31, 2008
Live and Learn
Things I Learned at the Cottage This Weekend
1. You do not walk on the seemingly frozen lake at this time of year. The ice is melting.
2. Three women are perfectly capable of pushing a car out of a snow bank and clear of the sheet of ice that caused the skid into said snow bank. (Next time bring salt.)
3. Sadly, some birds mistook the windows at the front deck for an area of clear sailing and met their demise. This feathery discovery was made by my friend who has a fear of birds (ornithophobia).
4. A monarch butterfly can survive a winter in an unheated porch. (How?)
5. The mice at the cottage are stupid. They do not get into the food but attempted to eat some of the decorative wooden beads on a sunhat.
6. (And speaking of stupid…) When imbibing wine and then pausing to do shooters, it is best to stop after two shooters if one continues with the wine. (Best for me, anyway.)
7. It is wonderful when your sister owns a latte machine. (Good morning!)
8. You do not get the full visual effect of Earth Hour at the cottage. There weren’t any lights to be seen outside before Earth Hour took place. (But our candlelight hour was lovely.)
P.S. The out-of-focus photo is of the above-mentioned butterfly and that is NOT a wine stain on the cushion.