Sunday, January 27, 2008
Just 19 Steps to Achieving Total Fitness:
1. During the summer, note that the boys (while creating their basement bachelor pad) moved the treadmill machine so that it faces a wall. A very boring wall.
2. The cold weather arrives. Suggest they move it. Reluctantly agree no other good spot exists.
3. Frequently glance at it in passing. Berate myself each time.
4. Decide I must make use of it despite the uninspiring view.
5. Wonder (for weeks) where my running shoes are.
6. Finally look for them.
7. Figure out they’re at the cottage.
8. Eventually get around to buying new ones.
9. Leave new running shoes sitting on the kitchen counter as a reminder to use machine.
10. Re: boring wall - decide music is essential for exercising on the damn machine.
11. Ask two of the boys if they possess an old MP3 player. They don’t.
12. Decide to treat myself to an iPod.
13. Good thing I postpone purchase of said iPod. Son # 3 arrives home from school and finds an extra one. (Spoiled rotten kids.)
14. Download my iTunes music to the iPod. (I LOVE APPLE!)
15. Place iPod on counter with running shoes.
16. I am ready to go. Almost. Still searching for motivation.
17. Decide I need a deadline. Will start February 1st. (2008)
18. Consequences if I fail to meet deadline? I can’t think of any other than the fact I will remain unfit. Which I am used to.
It is really, really hard to punish yourself.
19. Bonus. Thought of something else I need before starting. A new pair of shorts – the loose fitting sporty looking kind. Wouldn’t want my exercise regimen compromised/constricted in any way…
P.S. Don’t bother making inquiries as to my progress. They will not be appreciated.