Thursday, February 08, 2007

It's A Crazy World


In my Vitamin D post of yesterday, Adrienne of Bookmark My Heart left an amusing comment re: getting your Vitamin D requirement directly to the area in question via nude sunbathing.

Timely comment.

In today’s Social Studies section of the Globe the following news tidbit was reported:


Forgot your gym stuff?

A Dutch gym plans to introduce Naked Sundays next month, for people who like to work out in the nude. Patrick de Man, owner of Fitworld in Heteren, the Netherlands, says he got the idea from two customers who are avid nudists. The first question from other patrons: Is it sanitary? Nude exercisers will be required to put towels on weight machines and use disposable bike-seat covers. All machines will be cleaned and disinfected afterward.


Yuck. Big fat yuck. Gross. And, yeah, sounds unsanitary to me. Aside from the sanitary issue, I think this new trend would be very hard on the eyes. Pause for a moment. Get the visual.

I’m also thinking accidents could occur on the gym equipment as the patrons might get a little preoccupied ogling the once-clad-now-exposed nude bodies of their fellow gym enthusiasts.

Okay, the human body is supposed to be a natural and glorious wonder. But let’s be realistic. There are a lot of people who allow the “wonder” to go wonky.

As someone who frequents a pool change room (with other women only) twice a week, I know whereof I speak. God bless us all for letting it all hang out, but, wow, there are times I avert my eyes.

And if you think only fit people will be utilizing this gym, think again. Fitness gyms are full of people who are there to get fit. Not everyone is in shape.

Perhaps nudity is more acceptable in the Netherlands. To each his own. I just hope this craze doesn’t travel to North America. You won’t be seeing me on an exercise bike or treadmill in the nude. (Geez, I’m cringing even as I write this…)


(Credit for the above image goes to Hippie Dude and is entitled Bare Naked Bottoms. And they are the bottoms of little bears — no human nudity on this blog.)

11 comments:

The Guy Who Writes This said...

With or without clothing, gyms are disgusting either way. There is perspiration stuck to everything and then there is the grunting and the constant bad music.

Anonymous said...

I saw that article today too.

**cringe**

The whole deal with gym clothes is to keep everything in place not to mention covered. And I am by no means a prude it just makes more sense to cover up when you are excersizing. Otherwise there is just way too much sweaty, hangy flesh...could you imagine getting something caught on one of those machines?

**shudder**

The Dutch can keep that concept over there.

Beth said...

guy: I take it you don't frequent a gym. And that you once did, since you can recall the sweat, grunting and bad music. Add nudity to that and geez, what an experience. Best to stay far away...

trish: I totally forgot about "loose" body parts becoming caught in the machines. Ouch and yuck.

Unknown said...

I see enough naked people at the gym as it is. I don't need to see even more of them at the gym.

Only the Dutch ...

Attila the Mom said...

Ew. Nude stationary cycling. Ew.

Beth said...

attila:
At least the bike is stationary. It's nudity on a treadmill that freaks me out.

dorky dad:
"Enough" nudity at "normal" gyms is often too much. We sure don't need that extra "wow" factor...

Nomad said...

HA...

Yeah we ALL know it is all about-

CRACKS...

ugh!! (Ick-ick- phtooi!!) ack.

Very funny post, I love the last line about the bears bottoms, very cute.

Nomad said...

Not to mention "leakage"...

Eewwwww!!

Now I'm REALLY grossing myself out!!

Beth said...

nomad:
Let your imagination soar!
(And you'll end up sick to your stomach...)
And yeah, I think those "bear/bare" bottoms are cute, too.

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

Treadmill nudity? Leakage? YES!!! Anything that contributes to the absurdity of the human condition, anything that exposes (no pun intended) the fragil nature of social fabric..is okay in my book. I just don't want to go there.

Gym nudity..I don't even want to think about the areobics session. Especially the toe touching.

Beth said...

stewart: Thanks for stopping by - and for adding your "visuals" to the mix!