Monday, June 04, 2007

Out and About

I got out of the house on the weekend!!

You think this is no big deal? IT IS.

With the exception of the hospital and sitting on the back deck I’ve been stuck in this house for over two weeks. Boring. Very.

Granted, my weekend excursion was to the hospital clinic for a check-up but who cares? I was out!

I was able to smell the fresh air in the nice areas of town and the disgusting, stinky fumes downtown. Loved them both.

I was able to see yuppies shopping, babies in strollers, health fanatics running in the heat and the crazies downtown. All good.

Son # 1 was my chauffeur. We took my car. He let me flick through all my CD’s at a frantic pace with only a few objections.

I had a great visit with my doctor. She’s as cute as a button (I know, that sounds condescending), the size of a minute and looks about 18 years old. When I first met her, I asked if I was her first surgical case since graduating from medical school. Fortunately, the answer was no.

She: “You’re back! Did you miss me?”

Me: “Seriously, I’ve come back to adopt you. I have three boys and I’d like you for a daughter.”

She: “Done.”

On the way home, my son bought me an ice cream treat.

“That’s what you used to do for us after visits to the doctor, Mom – buy us treats.”

Yeah, I did. It’s true — you reap what you sow.

And I “sowed” well, thank you very much.



15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, so sweet! (The story and the ice cream!) And I'm so happy for you, that you finally broke free for a little bit, even if it was to see your "cute as a button" doctor. Sounds like you are truly on the mend!

Mike Minzes said...

Getting out after been forced to stay home for any length of time is wonderful.

I glad you had a nice time.

-0-0-

Princess Pointful said...

If there's one good thing out of all this, it's that it helps you appreciate the little things, like fresh air, moments of humour- and ice cream!

Lainey-Paney said...

Awwwwe...I want Gage to take me to the dr some day & get me ice cream afterward!

:)

Lainey-Paney said...

Oh, I know what you mean about being stuck at home.

When I was pregnant, I was on bedrest for 5 weeks & stuck at home.
I was THRILLED just to get up, & ride up to Sonic (while my hubby drove, of course!)

Anyway...just staying home made me CRAZY!

Amie Adams said...

What a terrific kid! We seriously need your notes.

Sorry you've been cooped up. That's awful!

The Author said...

Excellent news that you're up and about again! You'll be back skateboarding sooner than you realise!

Beth said...

patricia:
"Broke free." Good way of putting it. Certainly felt like I was breaking out of prison.

mike m:
I could have gone to a garbage dump and considered it a nice time!

princess pointful:
For sure - and I'm even anxious to get back to doing chores - my "normal" life.

lainey-paney:

Raise him right and he will!

Your second comment reminded me of the only other time in my life I was housebound - I too was on bedrest with a pregnancy - for four weeks. So frustrating but so worth it in the end!

Beth said...

mamma:

No notes - just lots of loving. Even when I "lost it" (and perhaps you do too with three boys?) I always made sure they knew I loved them.

John:

You're back! Missed ya!
Hope you had a great time.

Beth + skateboarding = faceplant + hospital. Enough already!

Anonymous said...

Ah...Beth! I'm so happy for your being able to get out for some fresh air. I was grounded not nearly as long as you and it was driving me batty. I can't begin to imagine what I'd be doing if I were told to do nothing for weeks on end...

So here's to you and your day of fresh air, and to son #1 remembering the ice cream!

Beth said...

tracey:
Yup - going batty, squirrely...and counting the days!

Dan said...

I think it's so cool that your son treated you with ice cream on the way home. And I think you're very sweet for wanting to adopt your doctor! Hugs.

Unknown said...

Awesome. Your son bought you ice cream? That's just great. I can't wait until my boy buys ME ice cream. No. Check that. Yes I can.

Beth said...

dan:
Sweet? I want to adopt my doctor 'cause I'm outnumbered here!
(And, hey, I'd have a doctor on call 24/7.)

dorky dad:
Yeah - don't rush things - savour the moments when you're the one buying the ice cream!

Attila the Mom said...

I'm so glad things are looking good physically!

I think I would throw myself out of the car if my kid was driving. LOL